Kondakadalai Kathirikkai Kuzhambu is a simple South Indian style curry of black chickpeas and eggplants in a coconut gravy. This recipe is a tangy and tasty dish that can be served with rice.
Black chickpeas are nutritious as they are rich in proteins and high dietary fiber.
Kondakadalai Kathirikkai Kuzhambu | Black Chickpeas Brinjal Curry Recipe
Black Chickpeas Brinjal Curry recipe
- 1/2 cup black chickpeas ( kondakadalai / kala chana )
- 5 small purple brinjals ( kathirikkai / baingan )
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1 onion, medium-sized
- 1 tomato, medium-sized
- 4 garlic cloves
- Small lemon-sized tamarind
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds ( vendhayam / methi )
- A few curry leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Soak chickpeas overnight.
- Pressure cook it with enough water for around 4-5 whistles till it turns soft and remove from heat. Once pressure has released, remove the lid and drain the water from the boiled chickpeas.
- Soak the tamarind in 1/2 cup of hot water for around 10 minutes. Then extract tamarind pulp and set aside.
- Wash the brinjals and cut off the stems. Cut the brinjals lengthwise and chop them into cubes. Keep them immersed in a bowl of water till use.
- Finely chop onion, garlic and tomato.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When mustard seeds splutter, add fenugreek seeds and curry leaves and saute for a second.
- Then add chopped onions and garlic.
- Saute till the onions turn soft and translucent.
- Now add the chopped brinjal and fry for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder and fry for a minute.
- Add the tamarind extract along with a cup of water and the boiled chickpeas and let the gravy come to a boil over medium heat.
- Finally add the ground coconut paste and let the gravy simmer for 5 minutes or till it is of desired consistency.
- Kondakadalai kathirikkai kuzhambu is ready to be served hot with rice.