Chow chow mor kuzhambu recipe is a Tamil Nadu style yogurt based gravy. Chow chow / chayote squash is one of the most widely used vegetables in South India.
Sour curd is used for this kulambu and it is thickened with freshly grated coconut paste. This traditional dish makes for a comforting lunch as an accompaniment to rice.
When you have sour yogurt available with you, do try this easy chow chow mor kuzhambu recipe.
Chow Chow Mor Kuzhambu
- 1 chow chow ( bangalore kathirikkai / chayote squash )
- 2 cups sour curd ( yogurt / thayir )
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1 tbsp toor dal ( thuvaram paruppu / split pigeon pea )
- 1 tsp raw rice
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds ( jeera )
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 dry red chillies
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds ( vendayam / methi )
- A few curry leaves
- Soak toor dal and raw rice in little water for an hour.
- Whisk yogurt and keep aside.
- Peel the skin of chow chow, remove the seed and then chop the chow chow into small pieces.
- Boil the chow chow pieces along with salt in little water, till they turn soft.
- Grind grated coconut, soaked toor dal, rice, cumin seeds and green chillies to a fine paste by adding little water.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds splutter, add dry red chillies, asafoetida, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
- Saute till fenugreek seeds change color.
- Then add the coconut paste along with salt, turmeric powder and a cup of water.
- Mix well and let this cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked chow chow and mix well.
- After a minute, remove from heat and keep the curry aside to cool.
- Then add the beaten yogurt and mix well.
- Chow chow mor kuzhambu is ready to be served with rice.