Here is a simple and delicious egg omelette curry recipe. I usually prepare boiled egg curries when I have to make a quick lunch as there is no need to prepare any other side dish when serving it with rice.
With eggs being so versatile, I wanted to try making a curry with omelette instead of just boiled eggs. This dish turned out delicious with the curry sauce complementing the omelettes.
With just a few basic spices, this curry is easy to prepare and tastes good with both rice and rotis. Its also a good way to include protein-rich eggs in a curry.
Egg omelette curry recipe
- 3 eggs
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- A generous pinch of red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves / cilantro
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 onion large
- 2 tomatoes large
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- Whisk the eggs in a medium-size bowl. Add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and finely chopped coriander leaves and again whisk well.
- Heat a tava / skillet and grease it with oil. Pour half of the whisked eggs into a thin omelette. Let the omelette cook on a low flame till the eggs are cooked on both sides and then remove from heat.
- Again pour the remaining of the whisked eggs on the greased tava and cook the omelette till it is done on both the sides.
- Keep the omelettes aside to cool down.
- Once the omelettes cool down, take an omelette and roll it into a cylindrical shape. Then cut the omelette into 2 inch pieces. Repeat this for the other omelette.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes. Blend it into a paste and set it aside.
- Slice the onions and chop the garlic cloves.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add sliced onions and chopped garlic. Fry till onions turn golden brown. Remove from heat. Once it cools down slightly, blend the onion-garlic mixture into a fine paste by adding little water.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and when they splutter, add the curry leaves and saute for a couple of seconds. Then add the tomato paste and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the onion paste. Add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder and fry for a minute.
- Add 3/4 cup of water and bring the gravy to a boil.
- Then let the gravy cook on a medium low flame for 6-7 minutes or till it reaches the desired consistency and remove from heat.
- Pour the curry on a serving dish and place the omelette spirals on the curry.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve egg omelette curry hot with rice or any flat breads.