Gutti Vankaya ulli karam is a delicious stuffed eggplant recipe. This Andhra style dish has baby brinjals stuffed with a spicy onion mixture. I was able to get hold of some small tender purple brinjals. The first dish that came to my mind when I had to cook them was to make a stuffed brinjal curry.There are so many variations to stuffed brinjals. I have already posted a recipe of eggplants stuffed with a spice mix. This onion stuffed version has become my favorite as it is easy to make and tastes awesome with both rice and rotis.
A combination of onions with spices and tamarind come together as the stuffing for the brinjals. This mix of sweet, tangy and spicy makes it a wonderful complement to the tender small brinjals.
As for nutrition brinjal is a low-calorie vegetable and is a good source of dietary fiber. Next time you get some baby brinjals do try this easy recipe.
Onion Stuffed Brinjal Curry | Gutti Vankaya Ulli Karam Recipe
Gutti Vankaya Ulli Karam / Onion Stuffed Brinjal Curry
- 6-7 small brinjals / eggplants
- 2 cloves
- 2 inch piece cinnamon
- A few curry leaves
- 2 tsp oil
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- 2 onions medium-sized
- 2 garlic cloves
- small gooseberry-sized tamarind
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash the brinjals. Slit each brinjal into 4 like making a plus sign, keeping the stem intact.
- Keep the brinjals immersed in water till use.
- Roughly chop the onions and garlic.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan. Add chopped onions and garlic. Add salt and fry till onions turn translucent.
- Then add the tamarind and red chilli powder. Fry for a few seconds and remove from heat.
- Set this onion mixture aside to cool and then blend it into a coarse paste without adding any water.
- Stuff this ground onion paste in each brinjal. Keep the remaining onion paste aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan. Add cloves and cinnamon. Saute for 3-4 seconds.
- Then add the curry leaves and saute for a couple of seconds.
- Now gently add the stuffed brinjals into the pan. Cover and let this cook for 2 minutes on a low flame.
- Then stir the brinjals to cook them on the other side. Cover and cook again for 2 minutes.
- Now add the remaining onion paste along with garam masala powder and 1/4 cup water. Add little salt. Mix gently.
- Cover and cook on a low flame for 5-6 minutes or till the brinjals are cooked and the masala has thickened. Keep stirring occasionally. Once brinjals have turned soft, remove from heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Stuffed brinjal curry is ready to be served.