Keerai Molagootal recipe – a traditional Palakkad Iyer dish of greens in a lentils and coconut based gravy. It is a simple and easy dish that is flavorful and healthy. This recipe has greens cooked with toor dal and coconut.
I have used arai keerai here. You could use other greens like spinach or mulai keerai or paruppu keerai for this recipe.
It is a no-onion no-garlic dish and is best served with rice. This Kerala recipe is basically keerai kootu.
Greens being rich in dietary fiber and iron and lentils being rich in proteins, this keerai molagootal is healthy.
How to make Keerai Molagootal step by step
- Firstly, prepare the coconut paste. For this, heat oil in a pan. Add dry red chillies and urad dal and fry till dal turns brown. Grind this with grated coconut and cumin seeds to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the chopped greens and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Then add ground coconut paste.
- Next add cooked toor dal.
- Finally add salt and 3/4 cup water and simmer the gravy till it thickens a little. Keerai molagootal is ready to be served.
Palakkad Style Keerai Molagootal
Keerai Molagootal recipe
- 2 cups chopped keerai / greens
- 1/3 cup toor dal / thuvaram paruppu / split pigeon peas
- 5 tbsp grated coconut
- 1 tbsp urad dal / ulutham paruppu
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash toor dal and pressure cook it with enough water and a pinch of turmeric powder till it turns soft. Mash the dal and set aside.
- Meanwhile prepare the coconut paste. For this heat 1/2 tsp oil in a kadai or pan. Add dry red chillies and urad dal. Fry on a medium-low heat till dal turns brown. Remove from heat.
- Grind this fried dal-red chillies mixture with grated coconut and cumin seeds to a fine paste by adding little water. Set this aside.
- Pick leaves and tender stems from the greens and wash thoroughly. Finely chop the greens.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in the pan. Add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add the chopped greens.
- Fry for 2 minutes. Then add the coconut paste. Add the cooked toor dal and salt and mix well.
- Add 3/4 cup water and let the gravy simmer for 5 minutes or till it thickens to desired consistency and remove from heat.
- Keerai molagootal is now ready to be served with rice.