Palak anda / spinach egg curry recipe is an Indian style curry of boiled eggs in a spinach gravy. I had a bunch of palak leaves and was on the verge of making chole palak but settled on trying out this gravy which turned out delicious. I love the vibrant green color of this gravy.
Spinach and eggs make for a healthy combination. Spinach is rich in iron and is a good source of Vitamin A and dietary fiber. Eggs are a great source of protein. This curry can be served with rotis, naan or rice.
Lets see how to make palak anda curry or spinach egg curry.
Spinach Egg Curry recipe
- 3 eggs
- 1 bunch palak / spinach leaves
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 2 green chillies
- 2 small tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 inch piece ginger
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 inch piece cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 dry red chilli ( optional )
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Boil the eggs and remove the shells from the boiled eggs and set aside.
- Wash the spinach leaves and then blanch the washed spinach leaves.
- For blanching the spinach, bring enough water to boil in a pan. Add the leaves to the boiling water and let it boil for a minute. Then remove from heat and dunk the leaves in ice cold water. Let it remain for a couple of minutes. Drain the water.
- Puree blanched spinach along with green chillies and ginger.
- Meanwhile finely chop onion, tomatoes and garlic.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cinnamon, dry red chilli ( if you are including it ) and cumin seeds.
- When cumin seeds change color, add the chopped onions and garlic.
- Saute till onions turn light brown in color.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and fry it till it becomes soft and mashed.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder.
- Mix well and fry for a few seconds.
- Then add the pureed spinach along with 1/2 cup water.
- Let it cook for a couple of minutes.
- Make 2-3 slits lengthwise on each of the boiled eggs. Slide in the eggs into the gravy.
- Let the gravy simmer for 5-6 minutes and remove from heat.
- Palak anda gravy is ready to be served with rotis, naan or rice.