Paneer tomato curry recipe is a delicious curry of paneer / cottage cheese in a tomato based gravy. In this recipe paneer is first shallow fried and then simmered in a tangy tomato gravy with Indian spices.
This paneer tomato curry is best served with naans, rotis, phulkas, parathas or any Indian flat bread. Its a very simple and quick recipe to prepare and paneer gives a rich taste to this curry.
I love the variety of dishes that you can prepare with paneer and they just seem to enhance any dish in which they are added. I usually prepare paneer capsicum bhurji to go with rotis or a quick paneer spinach sandwich for breakfast.
Paneer is also healthy as it is rich in protein and calcium. Do try this protein rich tomato paneer curry.
Paneer Tomato Curry Recipe
- 1.5 cups cubed paneer / cottage cheese
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 4 tomatoes medium-sized
- 1 green chilli
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- A pinch of turmeric
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- Cut the paneer into cubes.
- Shallow fry the paneer cubes lightly. Keep them immersed in hot water. This will help the paneer to remain soft.
- Chop the tomatoes and blend them into a puree and keep aside.
- Finely chop onion and garlic cloves. Slit the green chilli.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped onions, garlic and slit green chilli.
- Sauté till onions turn light brown.
- Add ginger paste and fry for a minute.
- Then add the tomato paste along with salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder and garam masala powder.
- Add 1.5 cups of water and let the gravy come to a boil.
- Then add the shallow fried paneer cubes to the gravy.
- Let the gravy simmer on medium heat for 3-4 minutes or till it thickens to the desired consistency.
- Remove from heat and garnish the curry with chopped coriander leaves.
- Paneer tomato curry is ready to be served.