Paneer tomato curry recipe is a delicious curry of paneer / cottage cheese in a tomato based gravy. In this recipe paneer is first shallow fried and then simmered in a tangy tomato gravy with Indian spices.
This curry is best served with naans, rotis, phulkas, parathas or any Indian flat bread. Its a very simple and quick recipe to prepare and paneer gives a rich taste to this curry.
I love the variety of dishes that you can prepare with paneer and they just seem to enhance any dish in which they are added.
Paneer is also healthy as it is rich in protein and calcium. Do try this protein rich easy tomato paneer.
Paneer Tomato Curry | Tomato Paneer Recipe
Paneer Tomato Curry recipe
- 1.5 cups cubed paneer ( or cottage cheese )
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 4 tomatoes medium-sized
- 1 green chilli
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- A pinch of turmeric
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- Cut the paneer into cubes.
- Shallow fry the paneer cubes lightly. Keep them immersed in hot water. This will help the paneer to remain soft.
- Chop the tomatoes and blend them into a puree and keep aside.
- Finely chop onion and garlic cloves. Slit the green chilli.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped onions, garlic and slit green chilli.
- Sauté till onions turn light brown.
- Add ginger paste and fry for a minute.
- Then add the tomato paste along with salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder and garam masala powder.
- Add 1.5 cups of water and let the gravy come to a boil.
- Then add the shallow fried paneer cubes to the gravy.
- Let the gravy simmer on medium heat for 3-4 minutes or till it thickens to the desired consistency.
- Remove from heat and garnish the curry with chopped coriander leaves.
- Paneer tomato curry is ready to be served.