Simple Rajma masala curry is a delicious Indian red kidney beans curry. It is an easy and quick version of the popular Punjabi rajma masala recipe. A bowl of rajma curry with rotis / naan or a generous helping of rajma with steamed rice makes for a wonderful combination. This hearty vegetarian curry is filling and healthy. Red kidney beans are a great source of iron and are fiber rich. They are also a good source of proteins. These beans also absorb all the flavors of the dish that they are cooked in. In this recipe red kidney beans are cooked with onions and tomatoes along with a blend of Indian spices that gives a richness to the curry. I have used dry beans in this recipe which needs to be presoaked. If you have canned red kidney beans then this curry can be made even quicker. Lets move on to the recipe for simple rajma masala curry.
Simple Rajma Masala Curry ( Red Kidney Beans Curry )
Simple Rajma Masala Curry – a quick flavorful curry using red kidney beans with Indian spices.
Cuisine: North Indian
- 1 cup rajma / red kidney beans
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 2 tomatoes medium-sized
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder / jeera powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro / coriander leaves for garnishing
- Soak rajma in enough water overnight or for around 8-10 hours.
- Next day drain the water and wash the soaked rajma twice. Then pressure cook the soaked rajma along with salt in 2.5 cups water for around 8-9 whistles or till the rajma becomes soft. Drain the water and reserve this water for later use in the curry. Ignore this step if you are using canned beans.
- Meanwhile finely chop the onion and tomatoes. Slightly crush the garlic.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add bay leaf and cloves. Saute for a few seconds.
- Then add the chopped onions and garlic.
- Fry till onions turn almost golden brown. Now add the chopped tomatoes.
- Cook till tomatoes turn soft and pulpy.
- Add salt ( we have already added some salt while cooking the rajma so adjust accordingly ), turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala powder. Fry for a minute.
- Take a handful of the rajma and mash it coarsely. Add this to the pan along with the remaining rajma.
- Add the water in which the rajma was cooked.
- Bring the gravy to a boil. Then on medium heat let the gravy cook for 6-7 minutes or till it thickens to the desired consistency and remove from heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Simple rajma masala curry is ready to be served with flat breads or rice.