soya chunks potato curry recipe is a quick and easy curry using soya chunks or meal maker and potatoes. The meaty texture of soya makes for a delicious addition to curries.
For vegetarians soya chunks are a great substitute for meat as they are rich in proteins. In addition they are low in fat and high in fiber. Also soya chunks absorb all the flavors of the curry that they are cooked in.
This curry is very easy to make as I have used pressure cooker to prepare it. Pressure cooking makes the soya chunks even more softer and the dish is prepared in minutes. You could avoid pressure cooker if needed and I have mentioned the procedure in the notes section below along with the recipe.
Potatoes are a good combination with soya nuggets.
I served this curry with green peas pulao. It goes well with jeera rice or with any Indian flat breads.
Lets move on to the easy recipe for soya chunks potato curry.
How to make Soya Chunks Potato Curry step by step
- Soak soya chunks in hot water for 15 minutes. Wash the soya chunks a couple of times and then squeeze all the water from the chunks.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add bay leaf, chopped onions, ginger and crushed garlic.
- Fry till onions turn almost golden brown. Then add fennel seeds.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Then add the cubed potatoes.
- Add all the masalas and salt and mix well.
- Finally add the soya chunks.
- Add water and stir. Pressure cook for around 4 whistles.
- Once done, stir the curry and garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Soya chunks and potato curry is ready to be served.
Aloo Soya Chunks Curry | Soya Chunks Potato Curry Recipe
Soya Chunks Potato Curry recipe
- 1 cup soya chunks ( soya nuggets / mealmaker )
- 2 small potatoes
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 2 tomatoes medium-sized
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 2 large garlic cloves crushed
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds ( sombu / saunf )
- 1 bay leaf
- Coriander leaves ( or cilantro ) for garnishing
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Soak soya chunks in hot water for 15 minutes. Wash it for a couple of times. Then squeeze the water from the soya chunks and set aside. If the chunks are too big, chop them into halves.
- Meanwhile finely chop onions and ginger. Crush the garlic. Cut the potatoes into small cubes.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and blend into a paste.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add bay leaf, chopped onions, chopped ginger and crushed garlic.
- Fry till onions turn almost golden-brown in color.
- Add fennel seeds. Add the tomato paste.
- Let this cook for 2 minutes. Then add the potato cubes.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder and mix well.
- Add the soya chunks along with 3/4 cup water and stir.
- Pressure cook the gravy on high flame for around 4 whistles.
- Once the pressure gets released from the cooker, remove the lid and stir the curry.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Soya chunks potato curry is ready to be served with pulao or flat breads.