Spring onion egg bhurji is an Indian style scrambled egg curry using spring onions / green onions. Anda bhurji / egg bhurji which is basically scrambled eggs with Indian spices is very popular in North India.
In this recipe I have used spring onions which are also called as scallions or salad onions. They have long leaves and small white bulbs with a mild taste compared to onions and generally used for garnishing. They can be either cooked or eaten raw.
Spring onions have a unique intense flavor that can enhance a dish.
They not only give a vibrant look, they make for a healthy addition to salads. Both the green leaves and the white onion bulb can be used.
They are nutritious being a very good source of dietary fibre and vitamin C. They get cooked very fast and make for a good combination with eggs.
I rarely find spring onions in the market. When I got hold of a bunch of them I prepared this quick and simple egg bhurji / poriyal that has a unique taste from the spring onions. This healthy side dish goes well with rice or rotis or even as a sandwich filling.
Lets see how to make easy spring onion egg bhurji.
Spring Onion Egg Bhurji ( Scrambled Eggs ) Recipe
Spring Onion Egg Bhurji recipe
- 3 eggs
- 5 spring onions
- 1 tomato small
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Peel the outer layer of the white onion bulb.
- Wash the spring onions thoroughly to remove any dirt sticking to the bulbs or green leaves.
- Finely chop the white onions. Chop the onion greens finely and keep aside.
- Chop the tomato finely.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds.
- Once cumin seeds start crackling, add in the chopped spring onions.
- Saute for a minute.
- Then add in the chopped tomatoes along with salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and garam masala powder.
- Fry for a minute. Now add the beaten eggs.
- Keep stirring the mixture till the eggs are cooked and well blended with the masala.
- Spring onion egg bhurji is ready to be served with rice or rotis or even as a sandwich filling.