Stuffed chana dal paratha is a lentils stuffed Indian flat bread that is wholesome and nutritious. I make stuffed parathas occasionally for breakfast and the usual ones are aloo paratha and mooli paratha.
For a change I decided to try out this stuffed chana dal paratha that is a traditional North Indian dish.
It is a filling dish and you could have it with just a cup of tea and it would taste great.
Chana dal is rich in fiber and low in fat. This dish is a good change from the usual parathas and is healthy, provided you don’t fry it with lots of ghee or butter 🙂
Stuffed Chana Dal Paratha Recipe
Stuffed Chana Dal Paratha recipe
- 2 cups whole wheat flour / atta
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cup chana dal / split bengal gram dal
- 1 green chilli
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder ( adjust according to taste )
- 1/2 tsp amchur / amchoor powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- A few coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Soak chana dal for an hour. Pressure cook it till it turns soft, but not mushy. It will take around 4-5 whistles.
- Once pressure is released from the cooker, drain the water.
- Mash the dal very lightly, you should still get the nutty crunch of the dal.
- Finely chop the onion, ginger, coriander leaves and green chillies.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped onions and ginger and saute till the onions turn soft.
- Add the dal along with salt, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and amchur powder.
- Fry for a couple of minutes and switch off the flame.
- Add the chopped coriander leaves and green chillies to the dal mixture and allow this to cool.
- Meanwhile, knead the dough with lukewarm water.
- Make a large lemon size ball of the dough and roll it to a small circle.
- Place a little of the stuffing in the center and gather the ends of the circle to close it.
- Roll it into a paratha.
- Heat tava on medium flame. Place the paratha on the tava and cook on both side by applying oil or ghee.
- Serve it with yogurt or have it with a cup of tea.