Pudina thokku recipe is a South Indian style pickle of mint leaves. I love the fragrant mint leaves which have a wonderful refreshing taste.
When I have fresh bunches of mint leaves, I usually make this tasty pudina thokku.
This thokku happens to be one of my favorite.
It can be served with idlis, dosas, curd rice or even plain rice with a dollop of ghee..yummy! Do try this simple and easy pudina thokku.
Pudina Thokku | Mint Thokku Recipe
Pudina Thokku recipe
- 2 bunches of pudina ( mint leaves )
- small lemon-sized ball of tamarind
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds ( vendhayam / methi )
- 3 dry red chillies
- Salt to taste
- Pick mint leaves and thoroughly wash them.
- Drain the water and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan. Add dry red chillies and saute for a couple of seconds.
- Add fenugreek seeds and once their color starts to change, add in the pudina leaves.
- Fry on a medium flame till they wilt. Then add in tamarind and saute for a minute.
- Let this mixture cool down and then grind it along with salt to a paste.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan. Add the ground pudina paste.
- Keep frying the paste on a medium flame till you see oil start to separate.
- Now remove from heat. Let the pudina thokku cool down.
- Transfer the contents to an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Pudina thokku needs to be refrigerated and it will stay good for about a month, if you can allow it to last that long 🙂
- Use a clean dry spoon when you are serving the thokku and then keep it refrigerated.