Pudina thokku recipe is a South Indian style pickle of mint leaves. I love the fragrant mint leaves which have a wonderful refreshing taste. When I have fresh bunches of mint leaves, I usually make this tasty pudina thokku.
There is a variety of dishes like pudina rice, pudina lassi, pudina chutney and lots more that can be prepared using these leaves. This thokku happens to be one of my favorite. It can be served with idlis, dosas, curd rice or even plain rice with a dollop of ghee..yummy! Do try this simple and easy pudina thokku.
Pudina Thokku | Mint Thokku Recipe
- 2 bunches of pudina / mint leaves
- small lemon-sized ball of tamarind
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek / vendhayam seeds
- 3 dry red chillies
- Salt to taste
- Pick mint leaves and thoroughly wash them.
- Drain the water and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan. Add dry red chillies and saute for a couple of seconds.
- Add fenugreek seeds and once their color starts to change, add in the pudina leaves.
- Fry on a medium flame till they wilt. Then add in tamarind and saute for a minute.
- Let this mixture cool down and then grind it along with salt to a paste.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan. Add the ground pudina paste.
- Keep frying the paste on a medium flame till you see oil start to separate.
- Now remove from heat. Let the pudina thokku cool down.
- Transfer the contents to an airtight container and refrigerate.