Kobi chi bhaaji recipe is a Maharashtrian style cabbage stir fry with chana dal. This is a dry sabzi with the chana dal giving a nice crunch to the otherwise bland cabbage.
One aspect of Indian cooking is the loads of masalas in a dish which sometimes overpowers the taste of the main vegetable or legume. But this recipe is a mildly spiced dish, there are no masalas added to overpower the taste of cabbage and the split bengal gram dal and yet it tastes delicious.
This no-onion no-garlic kobichi bhaji is simple to prepare and goes well with either rotis / chapatis and as as side dish for rice. Lets move on to the recipe for kobichi bhaji.
Kobichi Bhaji | Cabbage and Chana Dal Sabzi Recipe
Kobichi Bhaji recipe
- 2 cups shredded cabbage / patta gobi
- 1/4 cup chana dal / split bengal gram dal
- 3 green chillies
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- A pinch of asafoetida / hing
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Slit green chillies lengthwise. Chop ginger finely.
- Soak chana dal for an hour. Boil with enough water till it turns soft but not mashed. You could even pressure cook it.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds splutter, add chopped ginger, slit green chillies and asafoetida.
- Saute for a minute.
- Then add the shredded cabbage along with salt and turmeric powder.
- Cover and cook the cabbage in medium low flame. The cabbage will get cooked in its own steam. You could even add a little water if needed.
- Once the cabbage turns soft, add the cooked chana dal and mix well.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring in regular intervals.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Kobichi bhaji is ready to be served hot!