Radish greens stir fry / mullangi keerai poriyal – a delicious South Indian Style radish leaves stir fry recipe. This is a healthy side dish using radish leaves with coconut and spices. I get pretty excited when I spot vegetables with their green leaves still intact, in the market. Recently, when I spotted fresh radishes with their green leaves intact, which I rarely do, I grabbed them first. I was ready to prepare my simple radish leaves dal but seeing a good quantity of leaves, I decided to make a stir fry instead and ended up with this radish greens poriyal made in South Indian style.
Radish leaves or mooli ke patte are edible and as a matter of fact are highly nutritious green leafy vegetables. They are rich in vitamin C and are also a good source of calcium and protein.
Since radish greens are slightly bitter, I like to pair them up with lentils or coconut as in this poriyal which has radish greens cooked with coconut and spices. The bitterness of the radish leaves and the sweetness from the coconut and heat from the spices make for a delightful combination. You will end up enjoying the bitter taste of these healthy greens in this stir fry.
So next time you are able to get hold of radish tops, dont throw them away! Instead use them to make this delicious stir fry. Remove the radish leaves from the roots and store them separately in the fridge till you use them. Lets move on to the recipe for easy radish greens stir fry.
Radish Greens Stir Fry | Mullangi Keerai Poriyal Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups chopped radish greens / mullangi keerai
- 6-7 shallots / sambar onions
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 dry red chilli, broken
- a few curry leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 5 tbsp grated coconut / thengai
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 dry red chilli
- Pick the radish greens, discarding the stems, and wash them thoroughly. Then chop the radish leaves and set aside.
- Slice the shallots and chop the garlic.
- Blend all the ingredients mentioned under 'to grind' in a blender or mixer to a coarse mixture without adding any water and keep this aside.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai. Add mustard seeds and once they splutter, add the shallots, dry red chillies and curry leaves. Fry till the onions turn translucent.
- Then add the radish leaves and fry for 5 minutes till the leaves wilt and start to soften.
- Now add the ground coconut mixture along with salt. Sprinkle 3 tbsp water. Cover and cook on a slow flame. Keep stirring at regular intervals till the leaves are cooked and turn slightly soft, for around 10-12 minutes. Then remove from heat.
- Radish greens stir fry is ready to be served.
2. you can substitute one medium onion for the shallots.
3. while covering and cooking the greens, if the stir fry becomes too dry, just sprinkle a tbsp of waterbefore closing the lid and continue cooking on slow flame till the greens become soft.
how to make radish greens stir fry step by step
- Wash and chop the radish leaves and set aside. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once mustard seeds splutter, add sliced shallots, curry leaves and dry red chilli.
- Fry till onions turn translucent and soft.
- Then add the chopped radish leaves.
- Fry for 5 minutes till the radish leaves wilt.
- Grind the grated coconut, garlic, cumin seeds, turmeric powder and dry red chilli to a coarse mixture in the blender or mixer.
- Add this ground coconut mixture to the pan along with salt.
- Stir well, sprinkle water, cover and cook the radish greens.
- Once the radish leaves turn slightly soft, remove from heat. Radish greens stir fry is now ready to be served.