Tawa Aloo Masala fry recipe – a North Indian style flavorful potato curry. This is a dry potato curry using aromatic spices and easy to make. In this recipe boiled potatoes are first lightly fried and then cooked with spices.
The frying and the cooking of potatoes is done on a tawa or skillet and hence the recipe name. It is an easy potato fry with the aromatic spices giving a nice flavor to potatoes.
The one vegetable that I can happily eat in any form is potatoes. Roasted, mashed or deep-fried, they taste great in any form.
But when it is pan roasted, I like it all the more. I usually make a simple potato fry for lunch to go with a kootu and steamed rice. I made this tawa aloo masala to go with chapatis and totally loved it. It is easy to make and goes well as side dish for rice or puri also. Do try this simple tawa aloo masala fry.
How to make Tawa Aloo Masala step by step
- Heat oil in a tava. Add boiled potato cubes.
- Add the dry masalas and salt. Mix well.
- Fry till the potatoes turn brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in same tawa. Add cumin seeds and when they crackle, add the chopped onions, crushed ginger and garlic.
- Fry till onions turn brown. Add tomato pulp.
- Cook for 2 minutes till the tomato pulp thickens.
- Add fried potato cubes.
- Add garam masala and salt. Fry for 4-5 minutes. Finally add crushed kasuri methi and mix well. Fry on high heat for a minute and remove from heat.
- Potato tawa masala is ready to be served.
Potato Fry | Tawa Aloo Masala Recipe
Tawa Aloo Masala – Potato Fry Recipe
- 2-3 medium-sized potatoes / aloo
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 1/2 tsp crushed fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp crushed garlic
- 3/4 cup tomato pulp
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed kasuri methi / dry fenugreek leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp + 2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Boil the potatoes with their skin till they turn soft. Alternatively you can pressure cook the potatoes for 2 whistles. Once the potatoes cool down, peel the potatoes and cut them into bite-sized cubes.
- Heat 1 1/2 tbsp oil in a tawa / skillet. Add the boiled potato cubes. Add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and chaat masala powder. Mix well. Fry the potatoes on a medium-low flame. Keep stirring ocassionally. Once the potatoes turn brown, remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile finely chop the onion, garlic and ginger.
- Grind tomatoes to a pulp.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in the same tawa / skillet. Add cumin seeds. When cumin seeds change color, add the chopped onions, crushed ginger and garlic.
- Fry till onions turn brown.
- Then add the tomato pulp. Let this cook on a medium-low flame for 2 minutes.
- Now add the fried potatoes. Add salt (remember we have added salt while frying the potatoes also. So adjust accordingly). Add garam masala powder. Mix well and let this cook for 4-5 minutes on a medium-low flame.
- Finally sprinkle crushed kasuri methi and mix well. Cook on a high flame for a minute and remove from heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Tawa aloo masala is ready to be served.