This recipe is an Iyengar bakery khara biscuit that is a specialty from Karnataka in South India. I wanted to try baking these spicy masala biscuits instead of the usual sweet cookies.
These biscuits are savoury, crispy and tasty.
These eggless biscuits are easy to make and are great with a cup of hot tea or coffee.
Khara Biscuit | Masala Biscuit | Savoury Cookie Recipe
Khara Biscuit recipe
- 1.5 cups maida ( all-purpose flour )
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp unsalted softened butter
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp yogurt ( curd / dahi )
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tsp finely chopped green chillies
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped curry leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Sieve maida, salt, sugar and baking powder.
- Mix the softened butter with this and rub it till it resembles bread crumbs.
- Add the masala ingredients ( green chillies, ginger, coriander leaves and curry leaves ) and the yogurt.
- Knead this mixture to a stiff dough.
- Take a small portion of the dough and roll it to around 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut squares from this dough.
- If you have a cookie cutter, you could cut the dough into the required shapes.
- Prick the tops of the cookies with a fork to avoid puffing up.
- Grease a baking tray and place the cut pieces on the tray.
- Bake for around 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Khara biscuits are ready to be served with tea / coffee or you could store them in an air-tight container.