I decided to make a tangy masala idli instead. Its a great way to make use of leftover idlis and can be served for breakfast or as a snack.
Masala Idli with Leftover Idli Recipe
Masala Idli recipe with Leftover Idli
- 1 onion
- 8 leftover idlis
- 1 tomato
- 1 green chilli
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- A few curry leaves
- A few coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Chop onions and tomatoes. Grate ginger. Slit the green chilli.
- Chop the idlis into cubes.
- In a pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds and urad dal.
- When dal turns brown, add chopped onions, curry leaves, grated ginger and sliced green chilli.
- Fry till the onions turn soft.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes along with salt, tumeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and garam masala powder.
- Saute for a few minutes and add the idli cubes.
- Mix well and remove from heat
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Masala idli is ready to be served.