Puffed rice upma / pori upma is a quick and easy breakfast recipe. This simple South Indian breakfast has puffed rice seasoned with spices. I love to snack on plain puffed rice as such. This puffed rice upma is a good variation and is very easy to make. While I do love filling breakfast like paneer carrot paratha or capsicum sandwich, there are times when there is a need for a quick breakfast. Puffed rice upma comes in handy at such times which uses simple everyday ingredients.
You can make this pori upma in a jiffy. The spices give a nice flavor to the upma while peanuts give a nice crunchy texture to the upma as well as makes it quite filling. Puffed rice is low in calories and is nutritious. So if you are looking for a light snack or a quick breakfast option, do try this easy and tasty puffed rice upma recipe.
step by step recipe for puffed rice upma
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add urad dal and peanuts. Fry till dal turns brown. Add dry red chillies. Then add the chopped onions, curry leaves and green chillies.
- Fry till onions turn soft. Then add the chopped tomatoes along with salt and turmeric powder.
- Cover and cook for a minute. Take the puffed rice in a colander. Pass running water through the puffed rice to just wet it. Squeeze out the water and add it to the pan immediately. Mix well and saute for a minute on high heat.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Puffed rice upma is ready to be served warm.
Puffed Rice Upma | Pori Upma Recipe
- 3-4 cups pori / puffed rice
- 1 onion small
- 1 tomato small
- 1-2 green chillies
- 1 1/2 tbsp raw peanuts / groundnuts
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp broken urad dal / split black gram (without skin)
- 1 dry red chilli broken
- A few curry leaves
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- 2 1/2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Finely chop the onion and tomato. Chop green chillies.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add dry red chillies, urad dal and peanuts. Fry till dal and peanuts turns brown.
- Then add chopped onions and green chillies. Saute till onions turn translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes along with salt and turmeric powder.
- Cover and cook for a minute.
- Take the puffed rice in a colander and pass running water through the puffed rice to just wet it. Squeeze out the water and add it to the pan immediately.
- Mix well and saute for a minute on high heat.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve puffed rice upma immediately, while it is still warm.