Cabbage is one vegetable that I tend to use as the last option. When there was a lone cabbage that was begging to be used, I wanted to try this cabbage gravy instead of the usual cabbage stir fry or cabbage chutney that I usually make. Coconut lends a great flavour to this gravy dish.
If you too aren’t too fond of cabbage, give this dish a try, you would surely like it. It is a simple South Indian style of preparation that goes well with rice or rotis.
Cabbage Gravy | Muttaikose Kuzhambu | Patta Gobi Gravy Recipe
cabbage gravy | muttaikose kuzhambu recipe
- 2.5 cups shredded cabbage / muttaikose
- 2 medium-sized onions
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes
- 1 inch piece ginger, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 2 tsp urad dal / ulutham paruppu
- 1 tsp chana dal / split bengal gram dal / kadalai paruppu
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek / methi seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds / sombu
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- A few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- For Grinding
- Chop 1 onion, 1 tomato and ginger finely.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and urad dal. Fry till the dal becomes brown in color.
- Add chopped onions, chopped ginger and saute till the onions become translucent.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes become mushy and the raw smell goes.
- Switch off the flame.
- Grind the above onion-tomato mixture with grated coconut, black pepper corns and fennel seeds and keep aside.
- Chop the remaining onion finely. Chop the remaining tomato into quarters.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pressure cooker. Add mustard seeds and when they splutter, add chana dal, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves and fry till the dal turns brown.
- Now add the chopped onions and ginger and saute till the onions turn translucent.
- Then add the chopped tomato along with salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the shredded cabbage and ground coconut paste along with 2 cups water.
- Pressure cook for three whistles and cabbage gravy is ready to be served hot with rice or rotis.
- I have used pressure cooker to quicken the cooking process. You could avoid using the cooker and use kadai or pan for cooking.