Carrot Payasam / gajar ki kheer is a simple, healthy and easy to prepare dessert. Love the color of this kheer. If you have always made carrot halwa, try out this equally delicious dessert recipe.
Another payasam that is equally easy to prepare is vermicelli payasam.
Carrot payasam is usually prepared during Navratri festival in South India. Do try this simple and easy carrot payasam recipe.
Carrot Payasam | Carrot Kheer Recipe
Carrot Payasam recipe
- 2 medium-sized carrots
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp sugar / according to taste
- A few cashew nuts and raisins
- Almonds / badam for garnishing
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- Chop the carrots and pressure cook them for around 4 – 5 whistles so they become very soft.
- Mash the carrots with a potato masher or alternatively you could grind it to a smooth paste.
- Heat the ghee in a pan. Fry the cashew nuts and raisins and keep aside.
- In the same pan add the carrot paste and fry it till the raw smell of carrots goes.
- Then add the milk and let this boil, stirring in intervals.
- Then add the sugar, cardamom powder and fried nuts and raisins and mix well.
- Let this cook for around 5 minutes.
- Switch off stove and garnish the kheer with almond slivers.
- Serve carrot payasam hot or cold !