Oats payasam with jaggery recipe is a delicious quick dessert recipe using oats and jaggery. This kheer or payasam is prepared using coconut milk and sweetened with jaggery rather than sugar.
Honestly I am not a fan of oats but since it is healthy and fiber rich I try to use it in some way. While the oats carrot kheer sweet that I have posted was made using milk, this oats payasam uses coconut milk.
I totally loved the rich taste that you get from adding coconut milk to the payasam and you can have this payasam even without the cashew nuts. It tastes absolutely delicious and is a breeze to make as quick cooking oats that I have used in this recipe gets cooked very fast.
Also jaggery is a great source of iron and far healthier than white sugar. For other oats recipes do check out oats peanut ladoo | oats and dates cookies recipes. For a quick easy dessert do try this Kerala style oats payasam with jaggery recipe.
Oats Payasam with Jaggery recipe
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1-1/4 cups powdered jaggery
- 1 cup thin coconut milk
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 2 cardamoms
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp split cashew nuts ( optional )
- 1 tbsp coconut pieces ( optional )
- Dry roast the oats in a pan on medium flame till and you get a good aroma and the color has slightly changed.
- Add the jaggery to water and heat it so that the jaggery gets melted. Switch off the flame.
- Now filter the melted jaggery to remove any impurities.
- Transfer the filtered jaggery to the roasted oats.
- Add the thin coconut milk and mix well. Bring this to a boil on medium flame and cook further for 2-3 minutes till oats become soft and gets well combined with the jaggery.
- Finally add the thick coconut milk and sprinkle cardamom powder. Stir for a minute and switch off the flame.
- Meanwhile chop some small pieces of fresh coconut.
- Heat 2 tsp ghee in a small pan. Add cashew nuts and fry till they turn golden brown.
- Remove from heat and transfer it to a plate.
- Now in the same pan fry the coconut pieces till they turn golden brown.
- Garnish the oats payasam with the fried cashew nuts and coconut pieces.
- Oats payasam with jaggery is ready to be served warm.
I used ready made coconut milk powder. I bet fresh coconut milk will taste even better.