Pasi paruppu payasam is a jaggery based dessert made with lentils and milk.
This yummy and healthy recipe is usually prepared as a sweet dish for festivals in India, especially during the Navratri festival.
This delicious sweet dish is made without refined sugar and instead jaggery is used. Jaggery is rich in iron while moong dal is rich in proteins.
Pasi Paruppu Payasam | Moong Dal Kheer Recipe
Pasi Paruppu Payasam recipe
- 1/2 cup pasi paruppu ( moong dal / split yellow gram )
- 3/4 cup jaggery
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- A few cashew nuts
- 1/2 tsp ghee or clarified butter
- Dry roast moong dal till it turns light brown and you get the aroma.
- Pressure cook the roasted moong dal in 1 cup of water, till it turns soft, for around 2 whistles.
- Once the pressure releases, mash the moong dal lightly.
- Meanwhile melt the jaggery by boiling it in 1/2 cup of water. Then strain it to remove any impurities.
- Fry the cashew nuts in ghee and keep aside.
- Add the melted jaggery and cardamom to the cooked dal and bring this to a boil.
- Add the milk and cook this for around 5 minutes, stirring at regular intervals.
- Finally add roasted cashew nuts and serve hot or chilled.