Some days where I need to fix a quick breakfast or dinner, there is always vermicelli / semiya that I can rely on. There is semiya upma or semiya biryani that can be rustled up in just minutes. Now here’s the best part, you could also make a quick Indian sweet dish with vermicelli.
I love to make this simple and easy South Indian semiya kesari recipe that can be prepared in around fifteen minutes. Generally, most Indian sweets are laden with ghee, but semiya kesari requires lesser amount of ghee. With just a few ingredients, there is a delicious dessert ready to be served!
Semiya Kesari / Vermicelli Kesari Recipe
- 1 cup vermicelli / semiya
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2-3 cardamoms
- 2 cups water
- 2.5 tbsp ghee
- A pinch of food color
- A few cashew nuts and raisins
- Heat 1 tsp ghee in a pan. Roast vermicelli till it turns light brown. Remove and keep aside.
- I skipped the step since I used ready-made roasted vermicelli.
- Heat another tsp of ghee in the same pan. Fry cashewnuts and raisins and keep aside.
- In a thick bottomed pan, bring water to a boil.
- Once water begins to boil, add the roasted vermicelli and let this cook till the water almost dries up.
- Lower the flame. Add sugar and cardamoms and mix well.
- Mix food color with 1 tbsp water. Add this to the pan and keep stirring.
- Once it starts to thicken, add remaining ghee and mix well.
- Keep stirring and when ghee starts to separate, remove from pan and serve hot.