Semiya Payasam is made by cooking vermicelli with milk with the nuts adding a crunch to this delicious and simple sweet recipe. It is a traditional South Indian sweet recipe. Any festival or special occasion is incomplete without the combination of vada – payasam, the spicy and sweet combo. This dessert is easy to make and takes few minutes to prepare.
Semiya Payasam | Vermicelli Kheer Recipe
Semiya Payasam recipe
- 1 cup vermicelli / semiya
- 2.5 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 pods cardamom
- A few cashew nuts and raisins
- Roast the cashew nuts and raisins in a little ghee and keep aside.
- In the same pan, roast the vermicelli and keep aside. You could avoid this step if you are using store – bought roasted vermicelli.
- Boil milk in a thick-bottomed pan. Add the roasted vermicelli to it and keep stirring at intervals.
- Once the vermicelli becomes soft, add the cardamom pods, stir for a few minutes and remove from heat.
- Garnish with fried cashewnuts and raisins.
- Serve semiya payasam warm or you could refrigerate it and serve it cold.
- You can add condensed milk to give a thicker and a little different taste to this dessert.