Methi moong dal recipe is a simple curry of split yellow gram lentils with fresh fenugreek leaves.
Fenugreek or methi leaves have a slight bitter taste and give a great flavor to this dish.
This nutritious healthy dal can be had with with rice or rotis. Do try this simple and easy methi moong dal recipe.
Methi Moong Dal | Split Yellow Gram with Fenugreek Leaves Curry Recipe
- 1 onion
- 2 cups methi / fenugreek leaves
- 1/2 cup moong dal / yellow gram dal / pasi paruppu
- 1 onion
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes
- 3 green chillies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Wash methi leaves thoroughly and chop them.
- Pressure cook moong dal with turmeric powder in enough water for around 2-3 whistles till dal becomes soft.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When cumin seeds turn brown, add chopped onion, chopped ginger, slit green chillies and chopped garlic.
- Saute till the onions turn light brown.
- Add in the methi leaves and fry till they start wilting.
- Now add in the tomatoes and fry till they turn soft.
- Add this mixture to the cooked dal along with salt.
- You could add little water at this stage.
- Let this cook for a few minutes till the gravy reaches required consistency.
- Serve methi moong dal hot with rice or rotis.