Radish greens dal recipe is an easy curry of radish greens with lentils. Radish greens and split yellow lentils / moong dal come together in this simple dish. I was able to get hold of some radishes with their leaves and got to make this curry. This dish can be served with rice or rotis / chapatis.
Radish leaves are edible and have a peppery taste. They remain fresh for only a couple of days in the refrigerator. They are nutritious as they are a great source of vitamin C and vitamin A. They are also a good source of calcium and are low in calories.
Radish greens do have a slightly bitter taste. Combining them with lentils does mask the bitterness slightly. So next time don’t throw away the radish greens.
Lets move on to this easy radish greens dal recipe.
Radish Greens Dal / Mullangi Keerai Kootu Recipe
- 2 cups chopped radish leaves
- 1/2 cup moong dal / split yellow lentils / pasi paruppu
- 1 small onion
- 1 small tomato
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- A few curry leaves ( optional )
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash the radish leaves thoroughly. Then finely chop the washed leaves and set aside.
- Wash moong dal. Pressure cook the dal with 1-1/2 cups water along with salt and turmeric powder for 2-3 whistles.
- Once the pressure gets released, mash the cooked dal slightly.
- Meanwhile, finely chop onions and tomatoes. Slit the green chillies lengthwise.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add cumin seeds.
- When cumin seeds start to crackle and slightly change color, add in the chopped onions, chopped ginger, slit green chillies and curry leaves.
- Saute till onions turn light brown in color.
- Then add in the chopped tomatoes and fry for a minute.
- Add the chopped radish leaves and salt.
- Cover with a lid and cook on medium low flame for 2 minutes.
- Now add the cooked dal along with 1/2 cup water.
- Let the dal cook on a medium low flame for 4-5 minute or until the gravy reaches desired consistency. Remove from heat.
- Radish greens dal is ready to be served hot with rice or rotis.