Spiced cold coffee recipe – a quick and easy cold coffee flavored with spices. This iced coffee makes use of a few aromatic spices that lend a unique taste to a simple cold coffee. It is also very easy and quick to make as I have used instant coffee powder. While masala chai is very popular, try this spiced cold coffee to give an occasional twist to your regular cold coffee.
Aromatic spices are widely used in Indian cooking to brighten up and add flavor to dishes. Whole spices – green cardamoms, cinnamon and cloves are used in this spiced iced coffee. Green cardamoms are used to flavor desserts and drinks like this mango oats lassi. They have a unique taste and just a pinch of cardamom powder can enhance the taste of a simple dish. And cinnamon is another spice that is flavorful while cloves lends a sweet warm flavor to a dish.
In this recipe, the whole spices are left to simmer in a pot of water. Sugar and instant coffee are added. This syrup stays well for a couple of days in the refrigerator. Add chilled milk and a couple of ice cubes and serve. Lets move on to the recipe for easy spiced cold coffee.
Spiced Cold Coffee Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 inch piece cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 2 green cardamoms / elaichi
- 2 tbsp sugar (adjust as per taste)
- 2 1/2 tsp instant coffee powder
- 1 cup milk
- Lightly crush the whole cardamom pods using a mortar and pestle.
- Take the water in a pan. Add the cinnamon, cloves and lightly crushed cardamom pods.
- Bring the water to a boil. Once the water comes to a boil, lower the heat and let it simmer on a low flame for 6-7 minutes.
- Now add the instant coffee powder and sugar. Let it simmer for another minute. Remove from heat.
- Let this syrup cool down. Then keep it refrigerated till use.
- When making cold coffee, blend chilled milk with the chilled spiced coffee syrup. For serving, pour the spiced cold coffee in glasses along with a couple of ice cubes and serve immediately.