Potato fried rice recipe – a quick and easy Indian style rice recipe. In this recipe potatoes are pan-fried and added to spiced rice. Potatoes are one of my favorite vegetables and I can have it any way – fried, baked or roasted and I can never get bored with them.
While I generally prepare a simple potato fry as a side dish for rice or rotis, I wanted to try a rice dish with potato being the star of the dish. This simple fried rice was the end result. It can be prepared fresh or use your leftover rice to prepare this dish. Pan-fried potatoes are added to the rice that is flavored with tomatoes and spices.
The slightly crunchy potatoes give a delicious taste to the rice. You could have this rice on its own or serve it with any curry or raita. This easy dish is also a good lunch box recipe.
Potato – the humble root vegetable is rich in nutrients. They are a great source of starch and a good source of dietary fiber and vitamin C.
step by step recipe for potato fried rice
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the peeled and cut potatoes.
- Add spices to the potatoes and fry.
- Heat oil in same pan. Add onions and garlic.
- When onions turn golden brown, add pureed tomatoes.
- Add spices and cook on low flame till all moisture dries up.
- Add cooked rice and mix gently to coat all the grains with the masala.
- Add the fried potatoes and mix gently again.
- Garnish with cilantro or coriander leaves. Potato fried rice is now ready to be served.
- 2 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 2 potatoes medium-sized
- 1 onion small
- 2 tomatoes medium-sized
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder / jeera powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder divided
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Cook rice and spread the cooked rice on a plate to cool down.
- Meanwhile peel the skin of potatoes. Cut them into 2 inch long pieces.
- Thinly slice the onion and finely chop the garlic cloves.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and blend into a puree without adding water.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan or kadai. Add the potatoes along with salt and 1/4 tsp chilli powder.
- Fry the potatoes on a medium-low flame till they are change color and have a slight crust on them. Then transfer them to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in the same pan. Add the sliced onions and chopped garlic.
- Fry till onions turn golden brown.
- Add the tomato puree and cook for a minute.
- Add salt and all the spice powders. On a low flame, fry for 3-4 minutes or till all the moisture has dried up and the spices are cooked.
- Add the cooked rice and gently mix to coat the rice with the spice paste.
- Finally add the fried potatoes and mix. Remove from heat and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Potato fried rice is ready to be served.