Tomato pulao recipe – an easy and quick aromatic rice pulao recipe using tomatoes. This recipe has rice flavored with tomatoes and coconut milk and is lightly spiced.
Tomatoes give a natural reddish hue to this pulao. Only a few spices are added to this pulao and the rich taste comes from the coconut milk.I love simple recipes that taste good and at the same time can be prepared quickly.
This is one such recipe. I have used tomato pulp here which I made by just grinding the tomatoes and then filtering off the seeds. The thick pulp gives a nice subtle flavor to the basmati rice.
Kids will love this lightly spiced tamatar pulao for lunch. This healthy quick meal can be served with a spicy accompaniment or it tastes good as it is without any sides.
Tomatoes being a good source of vitamin C as well as dietary fiber, they are good to be included in some way in our diet. Lets move to the easy recipe for tomato pulao.
step by step recipe for tomato pulao
- Heat oil in a pan. Add whole garam masala and fry for a couple of seconds. Add sliced onions.
- Fry till onions turn light brown in color. Then add finely chopped garlic and ginger and the slit green chillies. Fry for a few seconds.
- Add the soaked and washed basmati rice and gently fry for a minute.
- Then add the coconut milk.
- Meanwhile grind the tomatoes and strain to remove the seeds. Add this tomato pulp.
- Add 2 cups water.
- Once it comes to a boil, cover and cook for around 10 minutes on a slow flame till the rice is cooked. Garnish with fried cashew nuts. Tomato pulao is now ready to be served hot.
- 1 cup basmati rice / long-grained rice
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 2 green chillies
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 cup tomato pulp
- 2 inch piece cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 5-6 cashew nuts (optional)
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Soak the basmati rice for 30 minutes. Then drain the water and wash the rice 3-4 times.
- Thinly slice the onions. Slit the green chillies lengthwise.
- Grind the tomatoes to a pulp. I used around 3 large tomatoes. Strain the pulp to remove the seeds. I have used 1 cup of this strained tomato pulp.
- In a thick-bottomed pan, heat oil.
- Add the whole spices - cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf and star anise. Fry for a couple of seconds.
- Then add the sliced onions and fry till they turn light brown in color.
- Add the slit green chillies, finely chopped garlic and ginger. Fry for a few seconds.
- Then add the washed basmati rice. Stir gently for a minute.
- Now add the tomato pulp and the coconut milk.
- Add 2 cups water and bring the rice to a boil.
- Lower the flame. Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid. Let the rice on a slow flame for around 10 minutes till the rice is cooked.
- Remove from heat and gently fluff the rice with a fork.
- Garnish with fried cashew nuts. Tomato pulao is now ready to be served.
2. You can use pressure cooker instead of cooking in a pan. You need to add just 1-1/2 cups water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.