Peas pulao or matar pulao recipe is a simple and easy to make one pot Indian meal. This is a mildly spiced rice pulao that has green peas with whole garam masala lending flavor to the rice. Peas give a slight touch of sweetness in every spoonful and kids will love this it. It is one of the quickest rice dishes to prepare and is also perfect for the lunch box for both kids and adults.
I have used fresh peas for this recipe. You could substitute it with frozen peas. Peas are nutritious as they are rich in vitamin C, proteins and also high in dietary fiber.
Lets move on to the recipe for peas pulao or matar pulao.
How to make Peas Pulao step by step
- Rinse the basmati rice for 4 to 5 times in water and then soak the rice for 20 mins. Meanwhile, shell the green peas if using fresh ones.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan. Add cloves, cinnamon, star anise and cardamoms and fry for a couple of seconds. Add cumin seeds and once they change color, add the sliced onions, crushed ginger and green chillies.
- Once onions turn translucent, add green peas and stir.
- Add drained rice and gently saute for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups water and salt and stir.
- Let the water come to a boil. Then close the pan tightly with a lid and reduce feat to medium-low. Cook till rice is done and all the water has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let the rice sit covered for 5 minutes. Then gently fluff the rice with a fork. Peas pulao is ready to be served with a spicy curry.
Easy Peas Pulao | Matar Pulao | Green Peas Pulav Recipe
Peas Pulao – Matar Pulao recipe
- 1 cup basmati rice or long-grained rice
- 1/2 cup shelled matar or green peas ( fresh / frozen )
- 1 large onion
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 2 green chillies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds ( jeera )
- 1 inch piece cinnamon ( dalchini )
- 2 cardamoms ( elaichi or elakkai )
- 1 star anise
- 3 cloves ( laung )
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Rinse basmati rice 4-5 times. Then soak the rice for 20 mins in enough water.
- Meanwhile shell the peas if using fresh green peas. Slice onion and slit the green chillies.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan. Add cloves, cinnamon, star anise and cardamoms and fry for a couple of seconds.
- Add cumin seeds and once they change color, add the sliced onions, crushed ginger and green chillies and saute.
- When onions turn translucent, add green peas and stir.
- Drain the soaked rice and add it to the pan and gently saute for 2 minutes. Then add 2 cups water and salt and stir.
- Let the water come to a boil. Then close the pan with a lid and let the rice cook on medium-low heat for around 10-12 minutes or till the rice is done.
- Remove from heat and let it sit covered for 5 minutes. Then open the lid and gently fluff the rice with a fork.
- Peas pulao is ready to be served with a spicy curry.
- You can use a pressure cooker instead of cooking in a pan. Add only 1-1/2 cups water and once it comes to a boil pressure cook on high heat for 2 whistles.