Bitter Gourd Chips / Karela Chips recipe – crispy chips using bitter gourd vegetable. These Indian style spiced bitter gourd chips are easy to make as a quick snack. Are you also not a great fan of bitter gourd just like me? This bitter vegetable is not a favorite one of many of us though it is loaded with nutrients.
I love crunchy snacks like baby corn pakoda and can munch on them at any time. So it was no wonder that I had to make some snacks with bitter gourd. While bitter gourd is usually associated with bitterness, these bitter gourd chips are so crispy and delicious that you will enjoy eating them.
There is only a hint of bitterness and that only seems to complement these chips. Kids too will enjoy these chips.
You can enjoy these bitter gourd chips as an evening snack or you could serve it as a side dish for your meal. Lets move on to the recipe for easy bitter gourd chips.
step by step recipe to make bitter gourd chips
- Take chickpea flour and rice flour in a bowl along with the spice powders, fennel seeds and salt.
- Wash the biter gourds and slice them thinly. Add these bitter gourd slices to the bowl.
- Mix everything together. Sprinkle water till the bitter gourd binds together with the flour and spices.
- Deep fry the slices in small batches till golden brown on both sides. Bitter gourd chips are now ready to be served.
- 1 1/2 cups sliced karela / bitter gourd / pavakkai
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour / besan / gram flour
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp amchur powder / dry mango powder
- 3/4 tsp fennel seeds / saunf / sombu
- A sprig of curry leaves (optional)
- Oil for deep frying
- Salt to taste
- Wash the bitter gourds. Thinly slice the bitter gourds.
- Take chickpea flour and rice flour in a bowl.
- Add the fennel seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the spice powders along with salt and mix.
- Now add the bitter gourd slices.
- Sprinkle little water and mix the bitter gourd slices with the flour and spices.
- Keep sprinkling water till they bind together.
- Meanwhile heat oil for deep frying.
- Once the oil is hot, gently add a batch of chips to the oil. On medium low flame fry the chips till golden brown on both sides. Remove and place the fried chips on a tissue paper. Continue with this process till all the chips are fried in small batches.
- Bitter gourd chips are now ready to be served.
2. Fry the chips on a medium-low flame so that the bitter gourds are fully cooked.
3. Substitute amchur powder with lemon juice.
4. Fry the chips in small batches.