Chutney sandwich recipe – a quick, flavorful and delicious Indian style sandwich. This chutney sandwich is easy to make for a quick breakfast or snack. It uses very few ingredients with fresh coriander leaves and coconut being the main ingredients which give a nice flavor to the chutney. I love the simplicity of this chutney sandwich and its refreshing taste.
The recipe for this sandwich is very easy. The fresh green coriander leaves or cilantro leaves and grated coconut are blended with the other ingredients to make the green chutney first. Then to prepare the sandwiches, just spread butter on the bread slices and then follow it by a generous spread of this chutney. You could skip the butter if needed but the bread can turn soggy after a while. Thats it! you’ve got your coriander coconut chutney sandwich ready, with the fresh coriander leaves imparting a lovely green color to the dish. Its a simple and healthy sandwich to serve for kids too.
Coriander leaves are rich in vitamin C as well as vitamin A. They are also a good source of dietary fiber. Coconuts too are a good source of dietary fiber. Lets move on to the recipe for easy chutney sandwich.
How to make Chutney sandwich step by step
- First to prepare the chutney, pick the coriander leaves with tender stems. Wash the coriander leaves thoroughly with water and place in a bowl.
- Add grated coconut.
- Then add the roughly chopped green chilli.
- Add roughly chopped ginger and garlic.
- Transfer to a mixer jar along with salt and lemon juice. Grind to a fine paste with little water to make a slightly thick chutney and transfer the ground chutney to a bowl. To prepare sandwiches, spread butter on one side of all the bread slices followed by a spread of the green chutney. Now cover one slice of bread with the other, the buttered-chutney side facing down. Cut the chutney sandwiches into 2 equal portions and serve.
Chutney Sandwich Recipe
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves / dhania patte / cilantro leaves ( tightly-packed )
- 1/2 cup grated coconut / nariyal
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 green chilli
- 1/2 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 8-10 bread slices ( white / brown / whole wheat / multi-grain )
- Butter ( optional )
- Salt to taste
- Pick the coriander leaves with tender stems. Wash the coriander leaves thoroughly with water.
- Roughly chop the garlic, ginger and green chilli.
- Take the coriander leaves in a mixer jar.
- Add grated coconut, ginger, garlic, green chilli and freshly squeezed lemon juice along with salt.
- Grind to a fine paste with little water to make a slightly thick chutney.
- Transfer the ground coriander-coconut chutney to a bowl.
- Spread butter on one side of all the bread slices followed by a spread of the green chutney.
- Now cover one slice of bread with the other, the buttered-chutney side facing down.
- Cut the chutney sandwiches into 2 equal portions and serve.
2. Dont add too much water while grinding the chutney. We need a slightly thick chutney so that it can be spread on the bread slices.
3. Make it healthier by adding a few cucumber and tomato slices between the bread slices.