This cabbage chutney or muttaikose chutney recipe is a delicious chutney made with cabbage. This tangy South Indian chutney is easy to make and goes well as a side dish for idli, dosa and chapathis.
A South Indian tiffin like idlis or dosas feel incomplete without a chutney to accompany it. I usually prepare a coconut-based chutney like mint coconut chutney as an accompaniment.
But sometimes I like to cut down on coconut usage and prepare a vegetable chutney like this patta gobi chutney.
Cabbage is one vegetable that is not a huge favorite of mine but serving it this way as a chutney is refreshingly different and tastes good. It is very easy to make without coconut or onions. I added lentils to this cabbage chutney and added little tamarind to give it a tangy taste.
For other chutney recipes do check out
I usually serve this chutney with idlis or dosas. It tastes good with rotis / chapathis and rice too. Cabbage is a great source of vitamin C and dietary fiber. It is one of those vegetables that is great to be included regularly in our diet. Lets move on to the simple and quick cabbage chutney recipe.
how to make Cabbage Chutney step by step
- Heat oil in a pan and add dals and dry red chillies.
- When dals turn golden brown, remove from heat and transfer the fried dals to a small bowl and set aside.
- In same pan, heat oil and add garlic and fry for a few seconds. Then add the chopped cabbage and salt. Add water, cover and cook till cabbage turns soft.
- Once this cools down, add the fried dals and tamarind.
- Then grind the cabbage and dal mixture coarsely with little water. Finally, season the chutney with mustard seeds and curry leaves. Cabbage chutney is ready to be served.
Muttaikose Chutney | Cabbage Chutney Recipe
Cabbage Chutney – Muttaikose Chutney recipe
- 2 cups chopped cabbage ( muttaikose / patta gobhi )
- 3 small garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp chana dal ( bengal gram dal )
- 2 tsp urad dal ( ulutham paruppu )
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- A few curry leaves
- Tamarind, small marble-sized
- 2 1/2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash and roughly chop the cabbage.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a kadai or pan. Add chana dal, urad dal and dry red chillies.
- Fry till the dals turns golden brown. Remove from heat and transfer the fried dals to a small bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat 1 tsp oil. Add chopped garlic and saute for 4-5 seconds.
- Then add chopped cabbage and salt. Stir and add 1/4 cup water. Cover and cook on low flame till cabbage turns soft and water has almost dried up. Remove from flame and set this cabbage mixture aside to cool.
- Once it cools down, grind the cooked cabbage along with the above fried dals and tamarind. Grind it to a slightly coarse consistency by adding little water and transfer the chutney to a serving dish.
- For temepering, heat 1/2 tsp oil in a small kadai or pan. Add mustard seeds. Once they start spluttering, add curry leaves. Remove from heat in 5-6 seconds. Add the seasoning to the chutney and mix well.
- Cabbage chutney is ready to be served.