red bell pepper chutney / red capsicum chutney – an easy chutney recipe. This chutney goes well with South Indian breakfast like idli, dosa or upma. It is a good side dish for chapatis and it tastes good as a sandwich spread too. I feel that chutneys are a great way to sneak in some veggies. They are simple to make and a healthy accompaniment to any breakfast or snack dishes. This red capsicum chutney is sweet, tangy and spicy and has a lovely reddish hue.
Although I love coconut in my chutney as in mint chutney with coconut, I don’t always stock on coconuts. Hence I usually end up making chutney without coconut as in this red bell pepper chutney.
While I have been using green capsicum regularly, I have started using red capsicums more often now and enjoying the sweet taste of red bell peppers. Besides red capsicum, this chutney has tomatoes also. Tomatoes as well as bell peppers are a good source of Vitamin A. In addition to that, red bell peppers are a rich source of Vitamin C. So this chutney is a great way to add some veggies to our diet.
check out other chutney recipes
Red Bell Pepper Chutney | Red Capsicum Chutney | Shimla Mirch ki Chutney recipe below
- 1 cup chopped red bell peppers / capsicum / shimla mirch
- 1 small onion
- 1 medium-sized tomato
- 2 garlic cloves, large
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1 tsp chana dal / split bengal gram dal / split chickpeas
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1 tsp tamarind
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Roughly chop the onions and garlic. Roughly chop the tomatoes also. De-seed the capsicum and chop into small cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds. Once they change color, add chana dal and dry red chillies.
- Fry till the dal turns brown in color.
- Add the chopped onions, ginger and garlic and fry till onions turn light brown in color.
- Now add chopped red capsicum. Saute for a minute on a medium flame.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes along with salt and tamarind.
- Cook on a low flame till the tomatoes turn soft and mashed and the raw smell of tomatoes goes.
- Switch off the flame and set aside this mixture to cool down.
- Finally blend the mixture with very little water to a paste.
- Red bell pepper chutney is ready to be served.
step by step red bell pepper chutney recipe
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds. When they change color, add chana dal and dry red chillies. Once dal changes color to brown, add chopped onions and garlic.
- Fry till onions turn light brown in color. Then add chopped red bell peppers and saute till they turn slightly soft.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and tamarind and fry till tomatoes turn soft and mashed.
- Let the mixture cool down. Finally blend the cooled-down ingredients to a paste by adding very little water. Red capsicum chutney is ready to be served.