Lasooni dal tadka recipe – a delicious North Indian dal with garlic flavor. I have used yellow moong dal or split yellow lentils to make this lasuni dal. This is a quick and easy dal recipe to make and if you love the flavor of garlic, then this is one dal you should try.
In this recipe, the dal is first cooked with the veggies and finally tempered with cumin and garlic. The garlic is fried till it turns brown and then the tempering is added to the dal. Garlic gives a lovely aroma to the dal. Th tempering or tadka is usually prepared with ghee / clarified butter which gives a nice and rich taste to the dal. But mostly I prepare a vegan version by substituting ghee with oil.
Garlic is great for digestion and moong dal is protein-rich. This delicious garlicky dal goes well with rotis and rice. With just a few ingredients, this dal is simple to make.
Lets see the recipe for simple and easy lasoon dal tadka.
step by step lasooni dal tadka recipe
- Take the chopped onions and tomatoes along with dal in a pressure cooker.
- Add 2 1/2 cups water along with turmeric powder and salt and pressure cook the dal for 2-3 whistles. Once done, mash the cooked dal.
- Do the tempering for dal with cumin seeds and chopped garlic
- Switch off the flame. Add red chilli powder and mix.
- Add this tempering to the prepared dal and mix well and garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Lasooni dal tadka is ready to be served.
- 1/2 cup yellow moong dal / split yellow lentils
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 1 tomato medium-sized
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- Wash moong dal and soak the washed moong dal for 20-30 minutes in enough water.
- Finely chop onions and tomatoes.
- Drain the water from the soaked moong dal. Take the soaked moong dal, chopped onions and tomatoes in a pressure cooker. Add salt and turmeric powder.
- Pressure cook the dal-vegetables mixture with 2 and 1/2 cups water for 2 whistles on a medium flame.
- Once the pressure is released from the cooker, open the cooker and mash the dal lightly.
- For tempering, in a small kadai or pan, heat oil. Add cumin seeds and when they slightly change color, switch off the flame. Add red chilli powder and mix. Remove from heat.
- Add this tempering to the prepared dal and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Lasooni dal tadka is ready to be served.