Sorakkai kootu is a South Indian bottle gourd and moong dal lentils stew like curry. I usually prepare lauki chana dal, a bottle gourd and kadalai paruppu / split bengal gram dal curry, especially to go with rotis.
But for a South Indian lunch, I like to prepare this simple kootu that goes very well with rice.
Its a quick and easy no-onion no-garlic dish. It goes well with chapathis also.
Do try this simple and easy bottle gourd kootu recipe.
Bottle Gourd Kootu | Sorakkai Kootu Recipe
Sorakkai Kootu – Bottle Gourd Kootu recipe
- 2 cups chopped bottle gourd / sorakkai / lauki
- 1/4 cup moong dal / pasi paruppu / split yellow lentils
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- Peel the skin of bottle gourd and remove the seeds.
- Chop bottle gourd into small pieces.
- Pressure cook bottle gourd pieces and moong dal together along with enough water and turmeric powder for around 3 whistles.
- Meanwhile grind grated coconut along with cumin seeds to a fine paste, adding little water.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds splutter, add urad dal, curry leaves, dry red chillies and asafoetida.
- Once urad dal turns brown, add the cooked dal and bottle gourd mixture.
- Add in the ground paste and salt and mix well.
- Let this simmer for 5-6 minutes, stirring at regular intervals.
- Remove from heat and sorakkai kootu is ready to be served hot with rice!