Murungakkai Kootu / Drumstick Kootu recipe is a delicious South Indian stew using drumsticks and lentils. This simple kootu is one of my favorite kootu recipes as it uses drumsticks.
Drumsticks are one of the most flavorful vegetables that is widely used in South Indian cuisine.
While I usually used this vegetable in sambar I sometimes make this kootu that is prepared with toor dal and is flavored with coconut. A quick and easy vegan dish to prepare, this kootu is best served with rice.
Its also healthy as it uses lentils and vegetables with less oil. Drumsticks are a great source of dietary fiber while toor dal ( arhar dal ) is a great source of proteins and fiber.
For other dal recipes do check out
Lets move on to the easy recipe for murungakkai kootu.
How to make Drumstick Kootu step by step
- Pressure cook toor dal till it turns soft and them mash it well. Meanwhile cut drumsticks into 2 inch pieces and cook them in 1/2 cup water along with salt and turmeric powder till they turn soft.
- Grind grated coconut, black peppercorns and cumin seeds together to a fine paste by adding little water.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustards seeds. When they splutter, add urad dal and curry leaves. Once dal turs brown, add chopped tomatoes.
- Fry for a minute and add the mashed toor dal.
- Add the boiled drumsticks.
- Finally add the ground coconut paste.
- Add 1/2 cup water and stir.
- Once this comes to a boil, simmer for 4-5 minutes or till the gravy reaches desired consistency. Keep stirring ocassionally. Murungakkai kootu is now ready to be served with rice.
For other drumstick recipes do check out
Drumstick Kootu | Murungakkai Kootu Recipe
Murungakkai Kootu | Drumstick Kootu recipe
- 2 murungakkai ( drumsticks )
- 1/2 cup toor dal ( split pigeon peas / thuvaram paruppu )
- 1 tomato medium-sized
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds ( jeera )
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- A few curry leaves
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp broken urad dal ( split black gram dal ( without skin ) )
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook toor dal in enough water till it turns soft. Once the pressure has released from the cooker, remove the cooked toor dal and mash it well.
- Cut the drumsticks into 2 inch pieces. Boil the drumsticks with salt and turmeric powder in 1/2 cup of water till they turn tender.
- Meanwhile grind the coconut, black peppercorns and cumin seeds to a fine paste by adding little water.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustards seeds. When they splutter, add urad dal and curry leaves.
- When dal turs brown, add roughly chopped tomatoes.
- Fry for a minute. Then add the cooked toor dal. Also add the boiled drumsticks.
- Finally add the ground coconut paste. Add 1/2 cup water and stir.
- Bring this to a boil. Then let this simmer for 4-5 minutes or till the gravy reaches desired consistency. Keep stirring ocassionally and then remove from heat once done.
- Murungakkai kootu is ready to be served hot with rice.