Sabut moong dal khichdi is a simple one pot dish of whole green gram dal and rice. Khichdi is one of my favorite dishes not only for its simplicity but also because it is wholesome and nutritious.
Whole green gram legume is rich in proteins and fiber and when combined with rice as in this recipe, makes for a complete meal.
Next time you are looking for a quick and healthy lunch or dinner idea, then do try out this healthy green moong dal khichdi.
This dish can be served with curd or raita and pickles. Here I have served it with yummy capsicum raita.
Green Moong Dal Khichdi | Sabut Moong Dal Khichdi Recipe
Green Moong Dal Khichdi | Sabut Moong Dal Khichdi recipe
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 cup whole green moong dal / sabut moong dal
- 1 onion, medium-sized
- 1 tomato, large
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 green chillies, slit
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 inch piece cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- Chop onion, tomato and garlic finely.
- Wash and soak rice and green moong dal for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil / ghee in a pressure cooker. Add cinnamon and cloves and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add cumin seeds and when they crackle, add onions, garlic and green chillies.
- Saute till onions turn light brown.
- Then add chopped tomatoes along with salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Fry for a minute and add soaked rice and dal along with 6 cups water.
- Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles.
- Once the pressure gets released from the cooker, open the cooker lid and mix the khichdi.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Green moong dal khichdi is now ready to be served piping hot with raita or curd and pickles!