Palak khichdi is a rice and lentil based dish with spinach added to make it wholesome and nutritious. Khichdi is always a great comfort food.
This is a simple one pot dish that can be prepared quickly and tastes great with just a bowl of yogurt.
Simple Palak Khichdi | Spinach Khichdi Recipe
Simple Palak Khichdi recipe
- 3/4 cup rice
- 1 bunch spinach ( palak leaves )
- 1 big onion
- 1/4 cup moong dal ( split yellow dal / pasi paruppu )
- 1 tomato
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds ( jeera )
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak the dal and rice together for about 10 minutes.
- Wash the spinach leaves and chop them.
- Chop the onion, ginger and tomato.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds.
- When cumin seeds turn brown, add chopped onions and ginger.
- Saute till the onions turn light brown.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes along with salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and garam masala powder and fry for about a minute.
- Add in the chopped spinach and stir fry for a minute.
- Finally add the dal and rice along with 3 cups water and mix well.
- Pressure cook this for around 3 whistles.
- Once the pressure gets released by itself, give a good mix of the khichdi.
- Serve palak khichdi hot with a bowl of yogurt or with a raita of your choice or with papad.