Chow Chow Curry or Chayote Squash Curry recipe – a simple and spicy South Indian style dry curry. In this recipe, chow chow is cooked with spices and makes for a good side dish especially with chapatis or rotis.
Chow chow is basically a fruit that almost resembles a green pear and is generally cooked instead of being eaten raw. We usually prepare chow chow kootu. This is one of the chow chow dishes that I love as lentils and coconut lend a nice taste to the otherwise bland chayote.
I usually prepare chow chow poriyal which is a coconut based mildly spiced dry curry as a side dish for sambar or other kuzhambu varietes. But when making chapatis or as a side dish for dal curries or rasam, I prepare this spicy chow chow curry. It is a simple and easy dish using onions and spices that peps up the bland chayote.
As for health benefits, chayote squash also called as vegetable pear, is low in calories and a good source of vitamin C and dietary fiber.
Lets see how to make easy chow chow curry.
step by step recipe for chow chow or chayote curry
- Peel chow chow and chop into small cubes. Chop onions, garlic, green chilli and tomato.
- Heat oil. Add seasonings. Then add onions, garlic and green chilli. Saute till onions turn light brown in color.
- Add tomatoes and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the spice powders and fry for a couple of seconds.
- Add chow chow and mix well.
- Add water, cover and cook till chow chow turns soft. Then remove the cover, fry on high heat till moisture dries up. Remove from heat.
- Spicy chow chow curry is now ready to be served.
Chow Chow Curry | Chayote Squash Curry Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups chopped chow chow / chayote squash
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 1 tomato medium-sized
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 green chilli
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds / sombu / saunf
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- A sprig of curry leaves
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Peel the skin of chow chow and discard the seed. Chop the peeled chow chow into small pieces.
- Finely chop onion, garlic and tomato. Roughly chop the green chilli.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add cumin seeds.
- When cumin seeds change color, add fennel seeds and saute for a couple of seconds.
- Add chopped onions, green chillies, garlic and curry leaves.
- Fry till onions turn light brown.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder and fry for a couple of seconds.
- Add chopped chow chow and mix well. Add 1 cup water, cover and cook on a medium low flame till chow chow turns soft.
- Remove the lid and fry the chow chow on a high heat till there is no moisture and the curry becomes dry. Remove from heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Simple chow chow curry is now ready to be served.