Bitter gourd also known as bitter melon has a bitter taste that puts off many people to eat this vegetable. But this vegetable has some medicinal benefits and can be included in your diet. This is a simple bitter gourd stir fry recipe that can be had as a side dish for rice or roti.
Bitter Gourd Fry | Karela Fry | Pavakkai Fry Recipe
Bitter Gourd Fry
- 3 bitter gourds / karela / pavakkai
- 1 large onion
- A few curry leaves
- 1-2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Chop the bitter gourds into round slices.
- In a pan, heat 2 tbsp oil. Add the bitter gourd slices.
- Add in salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Keep frying occasionally till the bitter gourd is cooked and roasted well.
- In a separate pan, heat about 2 tsp oil. Add the slices onions and curry leaves.
- Fry till the onions turn translucent.
- Add this to the fried bitter gourd and mix.
- Pavakkai fry is ready to be served hot with rice or roti.