Kovakkai poriyal is a simple ivy gourd stir fry recipe. Ivy gourd is also known as little gourd or tindora and is rich in beta carotene. It is known to regulate blood sugar levels and is sometimes recommended for diabetic patients.
This easy stir fry dish can be served with steamed rice or chapathis. It goes very well with sambar rice and rasam.
Here I have served vendakkai sambar with this simple and delicious tindora sabzi.
Lets move on to the recipe for easy kovakkai poriyal.
Kovakkai Poriyal | Ivy Gourd Fry | Tindora Sabzi Recipe
Kovakkai Poriyal recipe
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced kovakkai ( ivy gourd / tindora )
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- Cut kovakkai into thin slices.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a non-stick pan.
- Add mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When mustard seeds splutter, add kovakkai slices along with salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Let this cook on low heat, stirring at regular intervals.
- Once the kovakkai turns soft, remove from heat.
- Ivy gourd poriyal is ready to be served hot with rice or rotis.