Urulai roast is a simple South Indian style roasted potatoes recipe. I prepared these roasted potatoes / aloo roast for lunch today and then realized that I have not yet posted this favorite recipe of mine. So here it goes.
This is a simple potato recipe that can be served as an accompaniment for rice dishes as well as with chapatis or rotis.
A great comfort food of South India is rasam with urulai roast. So go ahead and do try this simple, easy and tasty potato roast recipe.
Potato Roast | Urulai Roast Recipe
Potato Roast recipe
- 3 potatoes medium-sized
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- A few curry leaves
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook the potatoes and cut them into cubes, after removing the skin of the potatoes.
- Chop onion and garlic.
- In a pan, heat oil and add the mustard seeds.
- When mustard splutters, add cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- Once cumin seeds turn brown, add the chopped onions, garlic and curry leaves.
- Saute till onions turn translucent.
- Now add the potato cubes along with salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder.
- Fry on a slow flame till potatoes get roasted.
- Remove from stove and serve as a side dish for rice or rotis.
- Potato roast is now ready to be served. I served potato roast with rasam.