This is a simple South Indian plantain / raw banana varuval recipe. Gram flour has been added to this recipe and this dish can be made quickly and easily.
This easy dry curry goes well as a side dish for rice.
Raw Banana Varuval | Vazhakkai Varuval Recipe
Vazhakkai Varuval recipe
- 1 raw banana ( vazhakkai )
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 3 tsp gram flour ( chickpeas flour / besan / kadalai maavu )
- A few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Chop the vazhakkai into two halves and boil in water for about 10 mins or until it is cooked.
- Alternatively you could cook it in the pressure cooker for one whistle.
- Once it cools down, remove the banana skin and slice into thin round pieces.
- In a pan, heat about one tbsp of oil. Add mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When the mustard crackles, add urad dal and curry leaves.
- Then add the sliced banana pieces along with salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Fry for some time till the banana pieces get coated with the masala.
- Add the gram flour and cook till the raw smell of gram flour goes.
- Vazhakkai varuval is ready to be served as a side dish for rice.