Carrot coconut ladoo recipe – an easy Indian dessert using carrots and coconut. This simple recipe uses grated carrots and coconuts cooked with milk and flavored with cardamom and the result is a delicious melt in your mouth laddu. After the red rice flakes ladoo that I had prepared recently, I was game to try a different ladoo. With a few carrots and fresh grated coconut available with me, I decided on this carrot coconut ladoo that is lightly sweetened with sugar as both carrots and coconut are naturally sweet.
While generally coconut ladoo is prepared using condensed milk, I prepared this ladoo using milk. Adding carrots in this ladoo is a great way to include some veggies in a dessert. This ladoo has the light orange from the carrots giving a contrast to the white from the coconut – a colorful ladoo that you can prepare in no time and your kids will love them. You could try this sweet for any festive occasion in place of the usual traditional sweets that we usually prepare.
Carrots are a great source of vitamin A and dietary fiber while coconuts are a good source of iron and dietary fiber.
How to make Carrot Coconut Ladoo step by step
- Heat ghee in a kadai or pan and add grated carrots.
- Fry the carrots for 3 minutes.
- Add half the milk and cook till the moisture dries up
- Now add the grated coconut and sugar
- Again fry for 3 minutes.
- Then add remaining milk
- Cook till the mixture forms a ball in the center of the pan without sticking to the sides.
- Add cardamom powder. Mix and remove from heat. Form small ladoos using the palms of your hands. Carrot coconut laddus are now ready to be served.
Gajar Nariyal Laddu | Carrot Coconut Ladoo Recipe
Carrot Coconut Ladoo recipe
- 1 cup grated carrots ( gajar )
- 1 cup grated coconut ( nariyal )
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp ghee ( clarified butter )
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder ( elaichi or elakkai powder )
- Peel the skin of carrots and grate them. Grate the coconut and set aside.
- Heat ghee in a kadai / pan. Add grated carrots.
- Fry for around 3 minutes on a medium low flame till the raw smell of carrots goes.
- Add 1/2 cup milk. Cook the carrot-milk mixture on a medium-low flame till the moisture dries up.
- Now add the grated coconut. Add sugar and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining milk and cook the coconut-carrot-milk mixture on a medium-low flame.
- Cook till the mixture should not stick to the sides of the pan and should form a ball in the middle of the pan.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well. Remove from heat.
- Allow this mixture to cool down. Take a small portion of the mixture and form a small ball using the palms of your hands.
- Repeat this for the remaining mixture.
- Carrot coconut ladoo is now ready to be served.
- Store any remaining ladoos in an air-tight container and refrigerate.