Beetroot Thoran recipe – a delicious Kerala style beetroot stir fry with coconut and spices. Thoran is a vegetable stir-fry that is popular in Kerala and is one of the dishes served for Onam Sadya. This simple and delicious beetroot stir fry is best served with steamed rice.
I usually prepare beetroot dal to go with rice or rotis. I end up making beetroot thoran for lunch to serve as an accompaniment for rice. Beetroot thoran is an easy to make stir fry with simple ingredients. The earthy flavor of beetroots goes very well with coconut.
I use grated beetroots to make the thoran but you could also use finely chopped beetroot instead. I prefer grated beetroot since they cook faster. In this recipe, grated coconut is ground with spices and then stir fried with the cooked beets.
This beetroot thoran is healthy too. Beetroots are a good source of vitamin C and folate and in addition to that, they are also a great source of dietary fiber.
Lets move on to the easy recipe for beetroot thoran.
how to make beetroot thoran step by step with photos
- Heat oil in a pan and add seasoning. Then add chopped onions and curry leaves and fry till onions turn translucent.
- Then add grated beetroot along with salt.
- Mix well. Sprinkle little water and then cover and cook till beetroot turns soft.
- Add the ground coconut mixture and cover and cook on a low flame for 3 minutes. Finally remove lid and stir fry for a minute on high flame.
- Beet thoran is now ready to be served.
Beetroot Thoran | Beetroot Stir Fry Kerala Style Recipe
- 2 cups grated beetroot
- 1 onion small
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp dehusked split urad dal / black gram
- A few curry leaves
- 2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 4 tbsp grated coconut
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1-2 green chillies
- Peel the beetroots and grate the peeled beetroots.
- Finely chop the onion.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan. Add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add urad dal and fry till they turn brown in color.
- Then add the chopped onions and curry leaves and fry till onions turn soft and translucent.
- Now add the grated beetroot along with salt. Sprinkle very little water.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook the beetroot on a low flame. Keep stirring at regular intervals. The beetroot should turn soft.
- Meanwhile grind all the ingredients together mentioned in the 'To Grind' section to a powdery consistency without adding water.
- Once the beetroot is soft, add the ground ingredients. Cover and cook for around 3 minutes on a low flame. Finally remove the lid and stir fry the thoran on high heat for a minute. Remove from heat.
- Beetroot thoran is ready to be served.
2. Substitute chopped shallots for red onion.