Apple kheer / apple payasam / seb ki kheer is a quick and easy dessert recipe. This is an Indian style creamy apple pudding. Apart from the various sweets and savories that are prepared for Diwali, we make kheer on Diwali.
Usually it is rice kheer that is prepared with both rice and milk simmering to a thick creamy consistency and then garnished with loads of nuts. While it is a delicious dessert, rice kheer does take more time to prepare.
I wanted to try a quick kheer for Diwali and here is a simple and easy fruit based kheer, apple kheer. It turned out delicious and tasted great when served chilled.
Apart from festive occasions, apple kheer can also be made during fasts. It is a fasting food during Navratri. It also serves as a good option when craving for something sweet.
This apple kheer is a healthy dessert with apples. Apples are a good source of vitamin C and dietary fiber while milk is a great source of calcium. Do try this easy dessert. Lets move on to the recipe for apple kheer with step by step photos.
how to make apple kheer step by step
- Take milk in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Let it simmer on low flame, stirring frequently till it is reduced to half its quantity. Add cardamom powder and raisins and after a minute switch off the flame. Set this aside to cool down.
- Peel, core and grate the apples. Add the grated apples to a pan. Add sugar.
- Saute on medium flame till all water dries up. Remove from flame and let this cool down slightly.
- Finally add the cooked apples to the milk and mix well and garnish with chopped almonds. Apple kheer is ready to be served.
Apple Kheer | Apple Payasam Recipe
- 1 cup grated apples
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cardamom pod
- 3-4 almonds / badam
- 5-6 raisins
- Take milk in a heavy-bottomed pan or non-stick pan and let it boil. Once the milk comes to a boil, lower the flame.
- Let the milk simmer on a low flame, stirring at regular intervals till the milk is reduced to half its quantity.
- Keep scraping the sides of the pan too so that the milk doesn't stick to the pan.
- Meanwhile crush the cardamom seeds using a mortar and pestle and set this aside.
- Once the milk has reduced to half its quantity, add the cardamom powder and raisins and mix well. Cook for another minute and remove from heat.
- Transfer the cooked milk to a bowl and set aside to cool down.
- Soak the almonds in hot water for 15 minutes.
- Then remove the skin of the almonds and chop the almonds.
- Meanwhile peel and core the apples. Grate the peeled apples.
- Take the grated apples in a pan. Add sugar. Saute the grated apples on medium flame till all the water dries up. Remove from heat.
- Once this cools down a little, add the cooked apple to the prepared milk and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped almonds.
- Refrigerate the apple kheer and serve chilled.
2. Use store-bought cardamom powder instead of freshly ground cardamom.
3. Adjust the sugar quantity according to the sweetness of the apples.
4. This kheer is best served chilled. So you can make the kheer ahead of time.