Sweet corn kheer / makai kheer recipe – a delicious Indian style creamy sweet corn dessert. This easy sweet dish recipe uses fresh corn or makai and milk. Kheer or payasam is one of my favorite desserts that is perfect for any festive occasion. While rice is generally used to make kheer, there are so many other variations using fruits or vegetables like this corn kheer.
The combination of corn with thickened milk is absolutely delicious and cardamom adds a nice flavor to the kheer. I like simple and quick desserts that don’t need much effort. This sweet corn kheer too is easy to make and tastes great when served warm or chilled.
Sweet corn has vitamin C and is a good source of dietary fiber while milk is rich in calcium.
Lets move on to the recipe for easy sweet corn kheer.
How to make Sweet Corn Kheer step by step
- Cook the sweet corn kernels till they are slightly soft. Blend the cooked sweet corn to a slightly coarse paste with 3-4 tbsp water. Heat ghee in a pan and add the sweet corn paste.
- Fry the sweet corn paste for 2-3 minutes on medium flame. Then add milk and mix well. Once milk comes to a boil, let it simmer till the milk is reduced to half the quantity.
- Add sugar and soaked saffron strands and let this cook for a minute. Finally add the sliced almonds and ground cardamom powder. Mix well and cook for another minute. Remove from heat.
- Serve Sweet corn kheer warm or refrigerate and serve chilled.
Sweet Corn Kheer | Makai Kheer Recipe below
Sweet Corn Kheer | Makai Kheer recipe
- 1 1/2 cups sweet corn kernels
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6-7 almonds ( badam )
- A few strands of saffron
- 2 green cardamom pods ( elaichi or elakkai )
- 2 tsp ghee ( clarified butter )
- Cook the sweet corn kernels in enough water till they turn slightly soft. Once they cool down, blend the sweet corn to a slightly coarse paste with 3-4 tbsp water.
- Heat ghee in a thick-bottomed or non-stick pan. Add the sweet corn paste. Fry for 3-4 minutes on a medium-flame.
- Meanwhile soak the saffron strands in 1 tbsp hot milk. Crush the cardamom seeds to a fine powder using a mortar and pestle.
- Soak the almonds in a bowl of hot water for around 15 minutes. Drain the water and peel the skin of soaked almonds. Slice the peeled almonds and set aside.
- Now add milk to the sweet corn paste. Mix well. Once it comes to a boil, reduce the flame and let this simmer till the quantity of milk is reduced to almost half.
- Finally add the sugar and saffron strands. Mix well. Let this cook for a minute. Then add the sliced almonds and ground cardamom powder. Mix well and cook for another minute. Remove from heat.
- Sweet corn kheer is now ready to be served warm or chilled.
- Use fresh corn for this kheer recipe.
- I have used boiled milk for this sweet corn kheer.