Pepper sevai / milagu sevai recipe – simple and flavorful spiced South Indian rice noodles. This is an easy and quick recipe that takes a few minutes to make, using instant sevai or homemade sevai. For a busy weekday morning, there can be nothing better than a quick and healthy breakfast and this pepper sevai is one of them. It can also be served as a snack too. Sometimes I make this sevai together with coconut sevai for breakfast. Sevai or idiyappam is made using rice flour and the best part is its available in readymade format as instant sevai. I usually get this as making homemade sevai is a bit time-consuming.
This milagu jeeraga sevai is flavored with jeera and black pepper and tastes so good by itself that you dont need any side dish for this. The recipe too is very easy and is one of those dishes that can be made in just a few minutes with simple ingredients.
Black pepper is a good source of iron, calcium and dietary fiber. Cumin seeds or jeera too are rich in iron , dietary fiber and calcium. Apart from giving nice flavor to a dish, both cumin seeds and black pepper aid in digestion. Lets move on to the recipe for healthy and easy pepper sevai.
How to make Pepper Sevai step by step
- Prepare the instant plain sevai or use homemade sevai or idiyappam.
- Grind the black pepper corns and cumin seeds together to a slightly coarse consistency using a mortar and pestle.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan. Add mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add cashew nuts.
- Fry till the cashew nuts turn golden brown in color.
- Now on a low flame add the curry leaves along with the coarsely ground black pepper and cumin seeds and stir.
- Finally add the cooked sevai.
- Mix well to combine sevai with the spices. Check for salt and add some if needed and stir. Remove from heat.
- Milagu sevai is ready to be served.
Pepper Sevai | Milagu Sevai | Pepper Rice Noodles Recipe
- 3/4 cup cooked plain sevai / idiyappam / rice noodles
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns / milagu
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera / jeeragam
- 2-3 cashew nuts
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- A few curry leaves
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp ghee / clarified butter
- Instant or homemade sevai / idiyappam can be used. For preparing instant sevai, take the sevai in a large bowl. Pour hot water to just cover the sevai. Then close the bowl with a lid and let the sevai soak for around 10 minutes. Once the sevai becomes soft, drain the water and set it aside.
- Grind the black peppercorns and cumin seeds to a slightly coarse consistency using a mortar and pestle and set this aside.
- Roughly chop the cashew nuts.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan or kadai. Add mustard seeds and once they splutter, add the chopped cashew nuts.
- Fry till the cashew nuts turn golden brown.
- Now add the curry leaves. Also add the ground black pepper corns and cumin seeds mixture.
- Stir well on a low flame for a few seconds. Finally add the cooked sevai. Mix well to combine the spices with the sevai. Add salt if needed, stir and remove from heat.
- Pepper sevai is now ready to be served.