Rava Idli recipe – an easy and instant idli recipe. This rava idli is made using semolina or sooji and can be made ready in minutes with no soaking time too. A traditional South Indian breakfast usually comprises of idli or dosa. I love idlis which are so easy to make and with a combination of any chutney, you can have a healthy breakfast. But for making idlis on a busy weekday, you do need to have idli batter which requires you to soak and grind rice and urad dal and then ferment it overnight. But sometimes when running out of batter, I prepare this rava idli. This quick and instant sooji idli does not require any soaking time and you get soft and spongy idlis.
This instant rava idli is made using semolina, yogurt and baking soda. The seasoning using curry leaves and cashew nuts give a nice taste to the idli. You can serve this idli with a simple chutney and you have a breakfast or tiffin ready in minutes.
Some of the chutney recipes are
Semolina is good source of fiber, high in protein and low in fat while yogurt is rich in protein. Lets move on to the recipe for instant rava idli.
How to make Instant Rava Idli step by step
- Take rava in a pan.
- Dry roast the rava on a medium low flame till it changes color to light brown. Make sure you keep stirring to evenly roast the rava. Remove and set aside in a large bowl.
- To prepare the seasoning, heat oil in a pan. Add asafoetida and mustard seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add finely chopped green chillies, finely chopped curry leaves and chopped cashew nuts. Fry till the cashew nuts turn golden brown in color.
- Grease the idli plates with oil. Heat enough water in an idli cooker or steamer or pressure cooker.
- To prepare the batter, add curd to the rava.
- Then add the seasoning and salt.
- Mix well and finally add baking soda.
- Mix well and immediately fill the greased idli moulds with the rava idli batter and place the idli stand in the cooker or steamer. If using pressure cooker, close the lid but do not place the whistle for steaming the idlis.
- Steam for around 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and bring out the idli stand.
- Once it cools down slightly, remove the idlis from the moulds and transfer to a serving bowl.
Rava Idli Recipe | Instant Rava Idli Recipe
Rava Idli – Instant Rava Idli recipe
- 1 cup rava ( sooji / semolina )
- 1 cup yogurt ( curd / thayir )
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 green chilli
- 4-5 raw cashew nuts
- 1/2 tbsp finely chopped curry leaves
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Dry roast rava in a pan till it changes color to light brown. Make sure to keep stirring the rava while roasting.
- Once the rava is roasted, remove from heat and transfer the roasted rava to a large bowl.
- Finely chop curry leaves, green chilli and cashew nuts.
- To prepare the seasoning for the idli batter, heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds splutter, add finely chopped green chillies, finely chopped curry leaves and chopped cashew nuts. Once the cashew nuts turn golden brown, remove from heat.
- Grease the idli plate moulds with oil. Also, bring sufficient amount of water to boil in the idli cooker, steamer or pressure cooker.
- Meanwhile, to prepare rava idli batter, add curd to the roasted rava. Also, add the prepared seasoning along with salt and mix well.
- Finally, add the baking soda and mix well.
- Immediately fill the greased idli moulds with the rava idli batter and place the idli stand in the idli cooker, steamer or pressure cooker. If using pressure cooker, close the cooker with the lid but do not place the whistle.
- Steam the idlis for 10-12 minutes on a medium flame. Once the idlis are cooked, remove from heat and bring out the idli stand.
- Once it cools down slighty, remove the idlis from the mould with a spoon and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Instant rava idli is now ready to be served.
- Make sure to keep stirring the rava when roasting to a light brown color. Also, do not over roast it.
- There is no need to soak the rava with yogurt.
- Once the batter is ready, immediately fill the batter in the idli moulds and steam the idlis.